Memphis, Tennessee is no stranger to extreme weather conditions, and the past few years have been no exception. From torrential downpours and flooding to severe thunderstorms and tornadoes, the city has seen it all. The latest weather report warns of a tornado warning, watch, and severe thunderstorm. In this article, we will provide you with all the information you need to stay safe and prepared during these severe weather conditions.
Tornado Warning and Watch
A tornado warning is a message issued by the National Weather Service (NWS) when a tornado has been sighted or indicated by weather radar. This means that a tornado is imminent and you should take immediate action to seek shelter. A tornado watch, on the other hand, means that conditions are favorable for tornadoes to develop in and near the watch area. It is important to stay alert and informed during a tornado watch and be prepared to take action if a warning is issued.
Severe thunderstorms can bring high winds, heavy rain, lightning, and hail. These storms can also produce tornadoes, so it is important to take them seriously. If a severe thunderstorm warning is issued, stay inside and avoid windows. If you are outside, seek shelter in a sturdy building or vehicle.
How to Stay Safe
During severe weather conditions, it is important to stay informed and take action to stay safe. Here are some tips:
- Listen to the radio or TV for updates and follow instructions from local officials.
- Have a plan in place and practice it with your family or household.
- Identify a safe place in your home, workplace, or school to shelter in case of a tornado or severe thunderstorm.
- Have a disaster kit with essential items such as water, non-perishable food, first aid supplies, and flashlights.
- Stay away from windows and seek shelter in a basement or interior room if possible.
- If you are in a vehicle, pull over and seek shelter in a sturdy building if possible. If not, stay in the vehicle with your seatbelt on and put your head down below the windows.
Severe weather conditions can be unpredictable and dangerous, but being prepared and informed can help keep you and your loved ones safe. Stay alert, listen to local officials, and take action when necessary. By following these tips and guidelines, you can help reduce the risk of injury or harm during severe weather conditions.